Grant Township - Commissioner Kim Kiesgen
The Highway Department strives to meet the growing needs of our community with the maintenance of our streets and roads for the safety of our families, children and those who pass through.
Serving 26 years with the Department. Kim is actively working on construction and maintenance of 60 miles of township roads. With an unyielding "can-do" attitude, not to mention her personal touch with people, she is never bored managing the day-to-day operations, keeping up with the considerable variety of responsibilities the Department takes on.
- Stakeholder/Planning Committee - Fish Lake Drain Watershed Management Plan and the Squaw Creek Watershed.
- (NPDES0) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System. Responsible for the development and implementation of our storm water program.
- J.U.L.I.E. Member
- Winter snow and ice control.
- Spring clean-up - Removal of winter's leftover sand from the roads. A pavement sweeper and a crew with brooms use many hours to accomplish this job of sand removal.
- Road repairs - Freezing and thawing plays havoc with roads so spring always means road repairs
- Resurfacing - rebuilding roads - curb and gutter.
- Drainage, storm, sewers and culverts maintained and replaced in some areas to ensure proper drainage and prevent right-of-way flooding.
- Tree trimming and removal (ongoing projects.)
- Roadside mowing.
- Roadside trash pick-up - takes a lot of time and manpower.
- Caring for approximately 500 streetlights and maintaining traffic signs.
- Brush pick up program.
- Assist families involved in flooding and storms with sand bagging, pumps, and debris clean up.
- Mosquito Abatement Control Program for catch basin/storm sewers, ditches, etc.
- Adopt-A-Highway programs.
- Electronics recycling, accepting small electronics form TVs, computers, monitors.
- SWALCO www.co.lake.il.us/swalco